Chasing Inspiration

Friday, January 29, 2010

Soundtrack Friday

There are songs that speak to us in the moment and songs that speak to us over time. Today's song is one of the later. I first saw this video not long after I was first married and and the melancholy urgency of the song was exactly what I was feeling at the time. No, my marriage wasn't awful - it was and is a wonderful thing. That said, I just moved away from everything I knew to a country that was thousands of miles from my family and where the only person I could call friend and confidante was my husband. I wasn't working because I was going through the immigration process so I had a lot of time on my hands. My dog and I became best of friends and music and books became my emotional support.

I heard this song on the radio recently and I felt the same melancholy urgency but for different reasons. I no longer feel like a stranger in a strange land. What I'm struck by are the words of the song. There's an unconditional love through the words and I'm so glad I had that when I needed it most and when I wanted it least.

As we enter the new year, this song is a reminder to me to aspire to unconditional, non-judgmental love and acceptance. This doesn't mean there won't be tension or disagreements or fights. I'm not perfect. But I can aspire to be unconditional in my relationships despite my humanity. Ain't life grand that way?

Today I give you The Pretenders and their 1994 hit I'll Stand By You.


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment