Chasing Inspiration

Monday, July 16, 2007

Back from the RWA National Conference

Wow. Seriously, wow.

The conference was great. I've attended a few - DC in 2000, New Orleans in 2001, NYC in 2003. But there was something about the energy at the Dallas RWA conference that really got to me this year. Maybe it was that I had the best roommates a girl could ask for. Maybe it was because I got to stalk...I mean support several of my favorite authors - JR Ward, Jill Shalvis, Roxanne St. Claire, Lisa Kleypas, Julia Quinn to name a few.

I think it was also that this is my first time going since I received PRO status from RWA. PRO status means I have finished at least one manuscript and I have submitted it. I have finished 4 manuscripts, and have many unfinished ones in vary stages of decay around the house. I have submitted and I have been rejected. But you know something, this year the message sunk in that it can take a long time to become published, but if this is truly a passion or something I'm compelled to do, to keep writing and to keep learning and keep submitting. What's the worst that can happen? I'm rejected, again. Been there, and it didn't sting as much as I thought it might. So, really, it's not that bad.

I've been writing stories all my life. I've been seriously writing novels for the last 4 years. I hears stories of some huge name authors who wrote and submitted for 10 + years before they were picked up by a publisher. I heard tales of authors who were doing well and then suddenly they couldn't get a writing contract to save their lives. It's a fickle business, but if you want it badly enough, you will persevere and you will eventually publish. Eventually.

Yes, it was a great conference and I'm very glad I went this year. Next year it's in San Francisco and I'm not sure i'll be abel to attend. We'll see. Cuz you just never know what's going to happen. *grin*

1 comment:

  1. NEAT! Glad to hear you had a great time at the conference, Naomi.

    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete