Chasing Inspiration

Monday, March 01, 2010

Books Read in February

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield -- I don't remember this book. I guess that's not a good sign. I know I read it because it was for bookclub. I do recall I enjoyed it. Hmm, maybe I'll need to do a reread so I can post something intelligent about it. :)

Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah -- I. Loved. This. Book. It made me cry. Seriously. Bawled at the end like a little baby. Actually sniffled through the last third. If you like reading about families and have an interest in Russia, you will love this book. It tugs the heart, sucks you in and doesn't let you go even after you read "the end."

Lake Magic by Kimberly Fisk -- This debut novel reminded me what I used to love about contemporary romantic fiction. This book was tender and bright and a lovely read about loss and love and the power of connection. Kimberly is an author to watch!

Lead Me On by Victoria Dahl -- Victoria's third contemporary romance is her best yet! Seriously. I actually read it from the library and then went out and bought it. It's sexy, poignant and fun. The heroine is complexed, flawed and every woman without being boring or melodramatic. The hero is yummy and equally as complex. This is a great story.

Ghost Moon by Karen Robards -- I enjoy a good tale by Karen Robards but wasn't connecting with this story. It felt sluggish to me, but that could have been because I was dealing with a cold when I was reading it. It was suspense lite and paranormal lite with a good romance in an interesting setting.

Sea Swept, Rising Tides & Inner Harbor by Nora Roberts -- I love the Quinn brothers. Nora does an amazing job writing men and writing family dynamics. Have I mentioned I want to be her when I grow up? It was a great treat to revisit the Quinns of Chesapeake Bay. I haven't reread the series in years and as part of my downsizing efforts I am trying to find new homes for many of my books. This means rereads of books I've been holding on to for years to see if I can stand to part with any. I just can't part with the Quinns. If you haven't read this trilogy, do so. Now!

Tempting Faith by David Kuo -- I like biographies and autobiographies. I enjoy understanding what makes people tick. I think learning about different social issues is important. I thought this book would be one of those tell alls that's more about sensationalism than really trying to understand what really happened, at least from one man's point of view. I was entertained reading this book. I think I understand the religious movements within the last 10 years of politics. I don't think I've heard the entire story, nor will I. I'm not sure if I recommend the book or not. I think if you're willing to read more than one side of the issue, I am. But if you only want to read things that will support your point of view and can't keep an open mind, skip this book.

A Lick of Frost & Swallowing Darkness by Laurel K. Hamilton -- I used to be a huge fan of Laurel's Anita Blake series but the series kind of strayed off the path too much for me. Then I found her Merry Gentry series and have loved every book so far. This weekend I read two of her latest in the series, thanks to a co-worker who was kind enough to loan them to me. Questions are answered, court intrigue escalates, and storylines come together to form an amazing whole! More questions are asked and the series takes a turn, but it's a turn that makes complete and total sense to the world LKH has created and the characters who reside within it. I have the latest book to read. I can't wait!


Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. Nice solid reading month for you. We overlapped a bit. :) I thought you read Lake Magic before. Wasn't it good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Lake Magic in January but forgot it on my Jan list so added it to February. :)

    ReplyDelete