Chasing Inspiration

Friday, November 20, 2009

Soundtrack Friday

There are songs that transport me to another time and place whenever I hear them. Sometimes it's because the song was playing during that other time. Or because the song just feels right for the memories. Some of these songs are nostalgic favorites - dated and cheesy but fun and meaningful. Others are epic in their scope and transcend time, filling in the emotional distance and awakening the cellular memories locked away so they feel alive, real, immediate.

Today's Soundtrack Friday is none of these. For me anyway. For Jordan, a character I wrote about years ago who haunts me to this day, this song is epic and binding. It's part of her soundtrack and one of the songs that actually triggered her story. I played it ad nauseum during the writing of Jordan's story, so much so that by the end I couldn't bear to listen it on the radio.

I heard it the other day and I was transported to those crazy days of writing about Jordan and Quinn and their turbulent lives. It was as though I had written "The End" on their manuscript only yesterday. I could see them in my mind's eye, could recall specific plot points and scenes with each chord and passage within the song. And I fell in love with Jordan and Quinn all over again. My fictional friends tend to stay with me for a very long time.

Today, I give you Celine Dion's epic It's All Coming Back To Me Now. While the video represents it as a song of loss, the lyrics are more about hope and reunion. And that's what I wish for you - hope. Have a wonderful Friday!


Celine Dion - It's All Coming Back To Me Now (Official Music Video) - Watch the best video clips here

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment