Chasing Inspiration

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Tape Me Up, Tape Me Down

And first, the gratitudes:

  1. I have actually managed to blog three days in a row. This calls for a fist pump!
  2. Hubby is roasting corn on the barbecue. Mmm, roasted corn on the cob!
  3. My nook tablet still has the extended warranty so even though the battery is failing, I get a replacement nook for free! 
I had physical therapy this morning and my PT decided that the upper trapezius muscles were overworked and over compensating for weakness in my neck and my lower traps. So, after ultrasound and muscle manipulation, she put four strips of Kinisio tape on my back. It's...strange. I didn't get the neon colors that so many Olympic athletes were sporting in London last summer. It's beige, which makes me wonder if it's a knock off brand.

Anyway, the tape is supposed to help my upper traps relax and remind my lower traps to engage. So far all I have is a lot of pain, likely because I'm more conscious of this muscle group and my posture and am using these muscles in ways I likely haven't in a long time. 

I did some research and there's not a lot of scientific data that this tape actually does anything beyond a placebo effect. I say if it eventually helps my upper traps relax so my upper shoulders don't feel like concrete anymore than who cares if it's from a placebo or some sort of revolutionary treatment. 

The things we do in the name of self care. Hey, I could look like this! The tape, people. There's no way I want to look that ripped. 


No comments:

Post a Comment