Chasing Inspiration

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Thinking Sideways - Ah Ha Moments

I'm starting month two of Holly Lisle's six month course on How To Think Sideways: Career Survival School For Writers and I've had some interesting "Ah Ha!" moments. I want to share some of those with you.

For copyright purposes I am not going to share details on the exercises and materials. I do recommend you investigate this course. Seriously. It's the beginning of my week six in this self-paced course and while I'm "behind" in the lessons, I'm definitely not behind in the learnings. The first month of the course is filled with so much information and guidance that I had to give myself some extra time to work through it all. That and my life is a big scary mess at the moment. But that's a discussion for another day.

One of my biggest Ah Ha! moments so far has been what I'm drawn to as a writer. Holly had us do some cluster maps on things that we're drawn to, or make us happy and things that we're not necessarily drawn to when it comes to writing. I struggle with why genre I fit into as a writer. Holly's exercise helped me to let go of the labels and to look at what motivates me write. What gives me those cool little butterflies and you know what? I can write those elements in practically any genre out there.

I'm not a romance writer. I'm not a women's fiction writer. I'm a writer. A storyteller. And that knowledge has been incredibly freeing!

I am loving this course! And I recommend it to you as well. Please check it out on Holly's site. She is taking registrations for a new offering of the course and if you are serious about the business of writing and career development/survival, this is for you! Check it out here - How To Think Sideways: Career Survival School For Writers You won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment