Chasing Inspiration

Monday, December 01, 2008

November Good Reads

If Angels Burn, Private Demon and Dark Need by Lynn Viehl -- This is a new-to-me series about vampires. It's another fresh take on an age old mythology told by an amazing storyteller. If I could spend a day in her head, I would gladly do so to learn everything I can about this business and writing.

A Perfect Groom by Samantha James -- This is the final book in her Sterling family trilogy.

Wild and Hexy by Vicki Lewis Thompson -- Book two of her sexy new series set in Big Knob, Ohio. Witches, wizards, dragons and true love...oh my!

The Speed of Trust by Stephen M. Covey -- A great book on the value of trust in business and life by the son of 7 Habits icon, Stephen R. Covey. A must read!

Salvation in Death by J. D. Robb -- the latest book in the Eve & Roarke saga. Loved it! But then I love all these books. Now, if I could just figure out how many more she was going to write so I could ensure shelf space for them all...

Suite 606 Anthology featuring J. D. Robb -- A great short story.

Enchanted, Inc, Once Upon Stilettos, Damsel Under Stress and Don't Hex with Texas by Shanna Swendson -- Harry Potter meets Bridget Jones is the tag line, but these are way more than fantasy light chick lit. The world building and word economy to tell fantastic stories blew me away. I've had these books since the 2007 RWA conference (all but the last one, which was released in 2008), so this was a reread, but these books are staying on my shelf and I'll reread them again. Here's hoping the movie option actually becomes a movie and that Shanna will be able to write more wonderful books in this series. Seriously, I want to know more about Owen!

The Pagan Stone by Nora Roberts -- The long anticipated book 3 in her Sign of Seven trilogy was a great book. I wanted more at the end - like a picture of the protagonists in the not-too-distant future, but I was satisfied with the culmination of story arcs, the characters themselves and the world building. Nora can always spin a great tale. I seriously need to study the books to see what I can learn from this master. *sigh*

Merrick's Eleventh Hour by Wendy Rosnau -- The wonderfully poignant and action packed close to Wendy's Spy Games series. If you haven't read this series, you are missing some well crafted books about lies, spies and redemption. Yeah, these stories are not to be missed. Check Wendy's site for details. And please, don't let the fact the books are published by Silhoutte put you off! Good writing is good writing, no matter who the publisher is.

[Edited to add books I forgot I read]

The Trouble With Witches. Witch Hunt and The Witch Is Dead by Shirley Damsgaard -- With each Abby & Ophelia book, Shirley gets better and better. I'm looking forward to The Witch's Grave, which is book 6 and out now. Book 7 has just been written so will likely be out sometime in 2009. *sigh* I hate when I have to wait. *g*

No comments:

Post a Comment