Chasing Inspiration

Monday, February 08, 2010

Soundtrack Friday - Monday Edition

I had this set up to post last Friday and for some reason Blogger isn't showing me the love. This week you get not one, but two Soundtrack Friday posts! Aren't you lucky. :-)

It's old home week at the Inspiration household and we've been listening to a lot of music from our younger, more impressionable days. Part of this is due in no small part to the fact that The Who played at the Superbowl on Sunday. Ah, The Who. Made famous to a whole generation who have no idea what Pinball Wizard is thanks to the popularity of the CSI franchise and Jerry Bruckheimmer's love of this group.

Soundtrack Friday is not about The Who. This week Soundtrack Friday on Monday is all about the music that shaped me. One such artist in the 80s who isn't that well known to people who live around me is Luba. Luba is from Quebec and hit the Canadian music scene with a bang in the mid to late 80s. She had some amazing music, a flair for fashion I wanted to emulate and songs that made me feel understood and made me want to start reaching out beyond myself.

I recently went looking for Luba, to see what had happened to her since the 80s and was pleasantly surprised to find she's still intermittently recording. Go Luba! We no longer have cassette players so I can't listen to my Luba collection. I tried to order her backlist, but that was a little challenging. I will have to wait until later this summer when I have extra dollars to spend.

To tide me over, I searched the internet for some of her videos and had a moment where I was caught back in time. I could remember where I was, what I was thinking, the smells and the sounds around me the first time I saw this particular video. It made a huge impact on me and in some ways helped to define my current belief system. I haven't thought about this song in years. I'm glad I went looking to see what had become of some of the artists of my younger years.

Today, I bring you Luba and her 1980's hit How Many (Rivers to Cross). Enjoy!


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment