Chasing Inspiration

Friday, July 17, 2009

Soundtrack Friday

I was going through my DVDs the other day trying to find something to watch that fit my mood at the time. I wanted a story that had some whimsy, some adventure and a little drama tossed in for good measure. The movie I picked up was Ever After.

This is a wonderful rendition of the Cinderella fairy tale. A young woman loses everything as a child - position, parents, affection, her home/place in the world - and yet her spirit is not broken and she continues to dream and work toward maintaining those things she holds dear. Disaster ensues but it doesn't destroy our plucky heroine. Instead, she reaches down into herself and finds that the strength and hope she held on to for all those years was just as strong and real as ever, and enough to get her through. With a little help of her friends, of course.

I love that while our heroine needs others in her life, she is not dependent on others to save her from her situation. She partners, she encourages, she even teaches. But when push comes to shove, she knows she can rely on herself as well.

There is only one song in the movie that has lyrics. Texas, the now defunct Scottish band, lent their song Put Your Arms Around Me to the credits of the movie and I think the song sums up some of the main character arcs in Ever After. I love the song so much that it's been on almost every soundtrack for the stories I've written to date. It's definitely a key song for Mallory's journey and figures in often while she works out who she is in this world she lives in.

Today's Soundtrack Friday video/song is Put Your Arms Around Me by Texas. I hope you enjoy the song as much as I do.

1 comment: