Chasing Inspiration

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Downsizing

I have a confession to make. I am a life coach who helps others grow in many areas, one of which is personal/household organization. I have had a lot of success with my clients. Recently, my personal success has been far less than successful.

I have a home office that I love. Except for one thing. I have way too much stuff crammed into a space approximately 9 ' by 13'. Way too much stuff. Part of the reason for my massive amount of stuff is that I have a hard time throwing things away. Another part is that I am great at organizing other people, but horrible at organizing myself. Maybe it's because organizing the office always falls to the bottom of the priority list these days. Or maybe it's because I have no clue how to best use the space. It could also be that I feel compelled to try the strategies I suggest to my clients so recently I haven't landed on that formula that really works for me.

It's a difficult thing to admit that while I coach others my personal organization is less than stellar. I've fallen victim to stuffitis. And it's time to purge and really let go. My husband wants to share the home office with me. Personally, I think couples should have separate offices but our house just doesn't lend itself to that. For now. As my coaching and writing and *fingers crossed* online teaching worlds grow, I will need a more dedicated space, but that's another discussion for another day. Reality is that I have too much stuff in our home office. And I want to change that.

I picked up a couple of books this past winter while I was living through this economic experiment known as the Great USA Unemployment Game, but I found work shortly after picking up the books so I never read them. I made a commitment to myself that instead of reading fiction this week I was going to read through one of these books to jumpstart Project Home Office Downsize. And, as I tell my clients, I'm going to write down my goals, enlist support to help me reach those goals and check in with my support to see how things are going.

I'm going to be brave and hang it all out here as well. I'm committing to once a week giving you an update on my progress. Since I want to be deliberate about this change and not have it be a blitz declutter only to have the home office become filled to overflowing again this change is going to take time.

I encourage you to join me on this journey by looking at something in your life you want to change and then putting together the plan and support to change it. It doesn't have to be big. Little changes are the foundation for true and lasting changes to our lives. Feel free to share your journey here with me. If you do, I promise to cheer you on!

No comments:

Post a Comment