Chasing Inspiration

Friday, July 10, 2009

Soundtrack Friday

I have had a very full couple of weeks. Family visits, marathon cleaning events, packing away breakables in preparation of the next round of renovation demolition projects. Toss a summer cold in and you have a couple of weeks of whilwind activity I can barely remember.

It brought me back to a time when life was chaotic and I felt like I was drowning beneath all the commitments and responsibilities. It was 1996 and my body finally said enough and landed me in a hospital for 9 days. One of the best things to have happened to me, it turns out. I was given time to reflect, to rest and to explore who I was and who I wanted to be. And I had cable tv. LOL

It was during this memorable hospital stay I was introduced to Natalie Merchant's solo career and her song Wonder. The song is about a woman who has found wonder and beauty and strength in herself. It's upbeat and, well, wonderful!

Now, 13 years later, I long for Mallory to feel that same way about herself. I know she's a fictional character, but she has pieces of myself within her and so I want her to see the wonder and beauty in her own soul. And I guess I want to connect with that same wonder and beauty in mine. Especially after the last couple of weeks.

For today's Soundtrack Friday I give you Natalie Merchant and her hit single Wonder from the 1995 album, Tigerlily. As you listen remember that you are one of the wonders of God's own creation. And you are precious. Have a wonderful Friday!

2 comments:

  1. Love that song and loved the album. Saw her Tigerlily tour, though, and it was the most disappointing concert I've ever attended and turned me off to her ever since then. Too bad, too. Love Wonder and I just really liked that whole album and female singer/songwriter period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And this is why I don't mind if I miss concerts sometimes. I still love the album and listen to it a lot. I don't have any of her other solo albums. I should try to check them out from the library. :) It was a great period for female singer/songwriters, wasn't it.

    ReplyDelete