Chasing Inspiration

Friday, March 20, 2009

Soundtrack Friday

For my birthday this year I received a compilation of songs from iTunes to add to my iPod. A gift worth its weight in gold since I listen to my iPod all day at work and while I'm doing chores around the house. I even stuff the headphones under the pillow so I can go to sleep listening to music or a movie.

Well, in this compilation of songs were even more songs of the 80's. My teen years were in the 80's so I know the music well and Bonnie Tyler was one of my favorite singers. Who wasn't moved by Total Eclipse of the Heart? I danced one of my first slow dances to her rendition of Sometimes When We Touch and I had my first kiss (if you could call that miserable peck on the lips a kiss) while It's A Heartache was playing in the background. Bonnie Tyler has been there through some major moments in my life.

But it's this song that I remember above all others. Maybe it was because I had a crush on John Erik Hexum while he was staring in the ill fated TV show Cover Up, but I loved both the show and the theme song Holding Out for a Hero. In fact, that song became sort of a theme song for my friends all through high school and into college. You see, we were bound and determined to find ourselves real men. Heroes. Men who weren't afraid to be manly and sensitve. Men who would take a bullet for you or open your door. A man who would take on the horrors of shopping without out complaint but who could still kick ass when playing football with the boys. You know the type.

I was lucky enough to find a man who is my personal hero. No, he's not all the things listed above, but he is a hero in so many of the ways that count to me. His strength of character, his kindness, his ability to step back (usually) before reacting. His gentleness. His generosity. I held out and I got me a hero.

Okay, enough of the mush. Today's Sound Track Friday is the ever campy, ever sassy and the horribly bad Holding Out For A Hero by Bonnie Tyler! And don't complain to me about the video! Bonnie obviously didn't ask me to be her director. *shudder*

Enjoy! And have a great weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday!
    Love the blog facelift too! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that song, too. But it makes me think of Footloose.

    Gotta love the '80s!

    ReplyDelete