Chasing Inspiration

Friday, May 08, 2009

Soundtrack Friday

I almost forgot about Soundtrack Friday today! It's been a bit of a whirlwind and I'm still catching my breath. Spring is definitely here and while the grass is green and the trees are starting to look less like emaciated skelatons and more like leafy canopies, I find myself driven to ground by pollen. Doesn't keep me from enjoying being outside or the growth and color that is spring, but it does mean I get tired and grumpy a little more often than I should.

There have also been some interesting family things in my extended family. Neither good or bad, they just are. But it takes energy to process and deal and support. Energy that because of the aformentioned allergies, I don't have in high reserve. Perhaps this is a reason I haven't been blogging much in the last month. No energy. I am seriously going to have to do something about that.

Which brings us to Soundtrack Friday. I was thinking of a peppy song to get the blood pumping and the energy moving. But all week I've had a song stuck in my head and it seems appropriate somehow. I spent time plotting Mallory's story in more detail, revisited a little story I was writign for a friend that is turning into something longer with publication potential. And both stories have this deep need, this deep longing for belonging as a theme. Now, don't go analyzing me and my issues! Face it, we all have this longing and need to belong to something greater than ourselves. When writing popular fiction, you need to embed universal themes into the stories so the reader can relate to the characters.

Well, the song that comes to mind as I think about longing and need is Here Comes The Rain Again by the Eurythmics. I loved this group in the 80's and am so happy to see they are back recording and getting their music out there! I'm also glad I heard HCTRA on the radio last week as I was hitting a crucial scene that revealed Mallory's true beliefs about herself. The lyrics in the first halves of the verses really hit the nail on the head for Mallory. The music, well, it set up the atmosphere for the entire scene and then some. Annie Lennox, thank you for this song and for your amazing, haunting voice!

So, without further adieu I give you a link to the Eurythmics and Here Comes The Rain Again. Enjoy today's Soundtrack Friday and have a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment