Chasing Inspiration

Friday, May 29, 2009

Soundtrack Friday

One of my favorite shows is about good versus evil, in the literal angels and demons sense of things. Supernatural just finished it's fourth season, and did with a bang that made me squirm in fear for our boys Dean and Sam. Sure, they end every season with a cliff hanger meant to keep you guessing through the summer, but this ending makes me wonder who the good guys really are. That's good TV, people! And April, thank you so much for hooking me on this show. *grin*

What does a TV show about the rise of demons on earth and the fight to eradicate them have to do with Soundtrack Friday? Periodically through the seasons, the show recaps major storylines and uses a song by Kansas as the backdrop. Carry On Wayward Son is a great song I remember from the late 70's and it's one of my top 25 played tracks on my iPod. Why? Well, the music is infectious and makes me want to move. It's hard to really categorize the sound. It's rock, but it's not. More up beat then Don't Fear The Reaper but along those lines. Oh, and no cowbell. *g*

The lyrics are very meaningful. Many Christian groups and bands have covered this song - Rachel Rachel, Critical Mass, Showdown to name a few. Even the Oak Ridge Boys got into the tune. Writer and Kansas guitarist Kerry Livgren has stated that the song is not religious, but the words do give the impression that the song is spiritual. It's about pushing forward, that if life doesn't make sense right now, there is meaning and rest later. The chorus is what really nails it for me, the verses are more ambiguous. I'm sure if I ruminated at it for a while I could find the meaning in the verses, but it's Friday and no one wants to think that hard on a Friday. I would love your interpretation of the entire song, however.

Carry on my wayward son,
There'll be peace when you are done
Lay your weary head to rest
Don't you cry no more

Carry on, you will always remember
Carry on, nothing equals the splendor
Now your life's no longer empty
Surely heaven waits for you

Carry on my wayward son,
There'll be peace when you are done
Lay your weary head to rest
Don't you cry
Don't you cry no more

Here is a link to the Season 4 Story So Far for Supernatrual set to Carry On Wayward Son.

And, since many of you are purists, here is the original 1979 video for Carry On Wayward Son by Kansas.


2 comments:

  1. mmmmm - love me the Winchester boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehe, totally love them! Am almost caught up with season 1 and thank you again for loaning me the DVDs. :)

    ReplyDelete