Chasing Inspiration

Friday, October 30, 2009

Soundtrack Friday

I wanted to come up with something unique for Halloween. Nothing was coming to mind. So I did a quick web search on Halloween songs and nearly busted a gut when the following song was mentioned. I had completed forgotten about it! Of course, being a child of the 80s, admitting I forgot about it may mean I have to turn in my cool kid card at the door. Eh, I'm okay with that.

It's 1988 and the slasher movie craze has taken over movie theaters ever where. Freddy and Jason haunt the teen scene. I think it was because guys knew if they could get a girl to a slasher movie, there would be much holding and consoling during and perhaps after the movie. That and youth has this fascination with the mortality/immortality dichotomy. On the music scene we had boy bands and rap as the big things. Why, I don't know. Trust me, it just was.

A talented group of young rappers with a tongue in cheekiness that got them noticed more than their talent decided to capitalize on the slasher film phenomenon and created the following rap based on a fictional encounter with the bane of Elm Street, also known as Freddy. Now, I couldn't find a video by the aforementioned rappers, but I did find several tribute videos. This one seems to be the best, though instead of the Fresh Prince and Jazzy Jeff, we have scenes from Nightmare movies. Eh, it's halloween. What do you expect?

I give you DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince with their way back in the day 1988 rap Nightmare on My Street. Have a fun filled Halloween.

And here is a fan video of the same song. Hilarious!





Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment