Chasing Inspiration

Friday, June 12, 2009

Soundtrack Friday

It was love at first sight. I was a young, naive teen with eyes full of stars and more desire than talent when I first heard Richard Page's aching tones across the airwaves. Something drew me toward the man and his voice and I spent hours listening to Mr. Mister's I Wear The Face album and later their Welcome To The Real World album until I literally wore out the cassette tapes.

Then cable television came to our house and, yeah, I was smitten. I loved the pictures in the album liner for Welcome To The Real World and let myself fixate on the man behind the vocals. But when I was able to watch the music videos, the entire band came to life and my world was changed.

I wrote my first fan letters to Richard Page. Never sent them, but I wrote them. I drew my first fan art of the entire band and recieved some kudoes from an art teacher at my highschool. I learned my first song on guitar by making my guitar instructor listen over and over again to Kyrie and write down the chords for me. I wrote my first Young Adult novel (as a young adult) about a girl who was orphaned and taken in by a band - loosely based on anything I could find out about Mr. Mister. It was trash and while I still have the handwritten draft it's never ever going to be more than the hero worship filled ramblings of a silly teen.

I found a long lost copy of the Welcome to the Real World CD the other day and haven't stopped playing it, much to the dismay of my co-worker, and listening has made me rather nostolgic. Which made today's choice for Soundtrack Friday rather easy. Today I bring you Kyrie by Mr. Mister. I hope it brings a smile to your face. It sure did mine. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment