Chasing Inspiration

Thursday, December 24, 2009

All I Want For Christmas

It's Christmas Eve and it's been snowing since last night. I'm not complaining. My husband takes care of keeping the driveway and walk clear, Velcro Dog loves the snow so when the hubby is outside Velcro Dog goes with him. And I get some quiet moments sitting at the table, looking out at snow covered trees through the windows and enjoying a hot cup of tea. This is my idea of bliss. Especially after taking Velcro Dog to the park to run around while I snowshoed and hubby shoveled a path for some of the less adventurous.

In the truck on the way home, with a sleepy Velcro Dog curled up in the back of the cab, Hubby asked me what I wanted for Christmas. We usually exchange gifts in January rather than over Christmas. This is by design to alleviate the pressure of needing to have our gifts figured out while at the same time shopping for family and friends. I shifted in my seat and snuggled close to him and smiled up at him. "A house elf," I replied.

My husband is not a fanciful man so rolled his eyes at my suggestion. "We're not getting a cleaning service or a housekeeper." Yeah, my suggestion was a long shot. That doesn't mean I won't keep trying.

I turned serious and pondered his original question. What do I want for Christmas? I could say a Nook e-reader or a gift card to Barnes & Noble. Books are always a welcome addition to my life. But Hubby feels odd giving me books since I buy them for myself all year long. I could ask for a spa day or makeover but as fun as those sound I would want to go with someone and that could be a scheduling nightmare.

I don't really need anything. What I want I have. A good relationship with a man who knows all my quirks and loves me because of them. A house that is evolving more and more into a home we are proud to own. A dog who loves us and brings us joy. Friends. Health. Meaningful work. Dreams. Passion.

I have everything I need or want. The rest are inconsequential trappings - nice to haves that won't necessarily add meaning to my life. I told my husband that. He snorted, which I take to mean I'll be getting something like flowers for Christmas. Or maybe new wool socks. Either gift would bring a smile to my face. It's nice to be in that content state of being where I can acknowledge this moment as being full and complete.

Merry Christmas, everyone. May this holiday be filled to overflowing with contentment and blessing.

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment