Chasing Inspiration

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Dickens with a Twist

I just heard about this on the radio, and being the sci fi geek that I am thought it an intriguing train wreck of Christmas goodness. Someone translated A Christmas Carol into Klingon. I love Star Trek as much as the next person, and Worf was one of my all time favorite characters. I think he should have ended up with Troi instead of whatsherface on Deep Space Nine. I think the complexities of this Klingon raised by humans were amazing in their depth and gave the writers of the show an exceptional vehicle with which to explore so many areas of humanity.

That said, I'm not sure I want to see Dickens performed in the made-up language of the fictional Klingon race. And yet, that is just what one theater company in Minnesota has decided to do. One reviewer has described the Klingon adaptation as:
[a]dapted for the proud and war-loving Klingons, this production features no sermonizing about the triumph of charity and goodness over penny-pinching and miserliness. Instead, the story has a Klingon-appropriate story arc and moral: SQuja' (the Klingon Scrooge) has no courage and no honor; the three spirits are on a mission to turn the cowardly protagonist into a fierce warrior. The performance is almost entirely in tlhIngnan Hol, the Klingon language that sounds suspiciously like coughing up a lung.
I have to admit I'm intrigued. Not enough to pay money to go see a play in Klingon (even though they do have English titles projected above the stage). It's amazing just how far someone will go to immerse themselves in a fictional world, isn't it? Well, I wish the actors well and have this feeling it will be well attended by the Trekkie faithful. Live long and prosper. And Merry Christmas!

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment