Chasing Inspiration

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Books Read in August

Best laid plans and all that. *sigh* I had planned on updating this last night but since my 15 year anniversary was last Thursday and we went out of town a few things landed low on the task list.

As you can see, August was a high reading month. A lot of Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance. Why? Because I like things that scare me or challenge my perceptions. Hence the reason I really liked Season 1 of Supernatural. *grin*

Branded by Fire
by Nalini Singh -- The latest installment of her Psy/Changling series brings up the question of interracial love in a fresh way. If you've enjoyed previous books, you'll love this one. I believe it is the 6th book in the series.

City of Souls by Vicki Petterssen -- Book 4 of her acclaimed Signs of the Zodiac series had some interesting twists I totally did not see coming. Makes me very curious about book 5, that's for sure! Well done!

The Fire King by Marjorie M. Liu -- Not my favorite Dirk & Steele novel but very interesting and part of it takes place in my adopted home state. Anything by Marjorie is still worth the read. I'm just not sure what the title has to do with the story. Perhaps I need to reread it. *grin*

The Mommy Plan, The Baby Plan and Whose Child by Susan Gable -- I read quite a few contemporary romances in August. The books by Susan Gable were enjoyable and thought provoking. She's now on my authors to watch list. I love it when my favorite genres make you think. Mind candy - I think not! LOL.

People of the Book by Geralidine Brooks -- A wonderful mix of contemporary and historical as one woman searches out the meaning of who she is while exploring the people who have come before.

So Enchanting by Connie Brockway -- A wonderful historical romance that uses a touch of magic to explore greed, prejudice and love.

Halfway in the Grave, One Foot in the Grave, and At Grave's End by Jeaniene Frost -- Urban Fantasy meets romance in this intriguing series about a half human, half vampire woman who happens to be a vampire hunter. Her relationships are the most intriguing parts of the series, especially the relationship she has with her mother and her vampire lover/husband. Yes, very interesting indeed. Books 1 and 2 were well done. Book 3 was a little off to me, but I'm happy to read Book 4 and see where the series is going to take me.

From The Hip by Susan Mallery -- The third book in her Lone Star Sisters series is perhaps the best of the three books. Much more emotionally gripping to me and we get an even deeper glimpse at the villain and his motivation. A great set up to October's release of the final book.

Practice Makes Perfect by Julie James -- Lawyers competing for a single partner slot at the law firm where they have worked for the last 8 years sets the foundation for this story about unrequited love. This was a fun read and a great contemporary romance. It had everything that made me smile, including a heroine who is able to admit she is wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment