Chasing Inspiration

Friday, February 13, 2009

Soundtrack Friday

I love blues. There is something earthy and primal about the sleek riffs and gutsy all out vocals that makes me believe this white girl has rhythm. It's a soul to soul connection that grabs me. Strips me bare and once it's through putting my soul through the wringer, it smooths me out and stands me up again.

Yeah, I guess you could say I love the blues.

And for today's Soundtrack Friday, I have Marc Cohn's perennial hit Walking in Memphis. I can remember exactly where I was the first time I heard this song play on the radio. It was 1991 and I was driving a parts truck at a pulp and paper mill in my home town as a summer job. I was getting paid union wages, which at the time seemed like a fortune. I had the radio on and blasting as I drove between mills on a road that overlooked the river. And the opening chords to Walking In Memphis sang through the speakers. Yeah, I had to stop the truck and close my eyes and listen.

Walking In Memphis is on the soundtrack I'm using for Mallory's story. The lyrics themselves don't literally translate to her story, but the emotion evoked both by the music and the lyrics translate to part of her journey. And there is something about Marc Cohn's voice that inspires me to write. I have had one of his songs on every work-in-progress soundtrack I've created. I have saved Walking In Memphis for a special story. Who knew it would be Mallory's?

I give you Walking In Memphis, and since I couldn't find the video for Mark, I have a video compelation of Marc and Cher. There's a pairing I wouldn't have thought of in a million years. *grin*

No comments:

Post a Comment