Chasing Inspiration

Monday, February 23, 2009

I Don't Like Change

You know, I thought I would be all excited to be starting this new job. Oh, you didn't know? Yes, I'm going to be working on a short term contract for one of my previous bosses. I enjoy working with her. She has huge vision and is a lot of fun. And I always end up learning something new from her.

I set the alarm early Friday, Saturday, Sunday, today to try to get myself acclimated to getting up early so I can be at work by 7am. I do this because then I can leave around 4. And get home before the husband which means getting some alone time before we spend time together. It works for me.

However, over the last three and a half months I've gotten used to getting up at 8am. And doing the job search in my comfy clothes. And leisurely taking care of business. Starting tomorrow, I'll have to compress the time I spend doing "home" stuff into my evenings again. And weekends. I'll have to be a better manager of my time. And be more focused. This isn't a bad thing. It's just a change. And I'm okay with changing how I manage my evenings and such. But I'm really not loving the early mornings. The change from sleeping until I felt like waking up to getting up on demand isn't going so well. I may have to rethink my strategy. Perhaps I could start work at 8am instead of 7am. Perhaps I don't need to have Friday afternoons off. That would mean I could just work 8 hour days instead of four 9 hour days and one 4 hour day. Hmmm. Perhaps I don't have to change things as radically as I once thought. Perhaps I won't even be allowed to. I'm just assuming I can work the system. :)

Anyway, as much as I say I like to change things up, I'm finding I have some sacred cows. Things I don't want to change for either internal or external reasons. Things I want total control over. Things that I may have to let go. And I'm not sure how I feel about that.

How do you deal with your sacred cows? Do you make peace with them? Do you kick them to the curb? Do you sacrifice them for the greater good? How tightly do you hold on to them before they start to control you?

My sacred cows have to be looked at closely and I need to decide what I'm willing to give on and what I intend to hold on to fiercely. I figure at least I'll be conscious about these things. And in being conscious I can be aware of when the cows are no longer useful and I can course correct. Thinning the herd is a good thing. Right? *grin*

1 comment:

  1. Just checking in. How did your first day go? Well, I hope. Thinking of you. *hug*

    ReplyDelete