Chasing Inspiration

Friday, February 20, 2009

Soundtrack Friday

There are some songs that are anthems. Others that are iconic. And then there are those songs that make us smile with fond remembrances, even if the songs themselves were mediocre at best.

Bryan Adams is one of those artists. I don't know if he is considered super talented. But when I hear one of his songs on the radio, I stop and smile, remember the days of my youth when Summer of 69 was the hot song in Canada and the guy I had a crush on that year and...well, you get the picture.

One of the songs that has burned itself into my brain and no matter how overplayed on the radio brings a smile to my face is Everything I Do, I Do It For You. Yes, the theme of Kevin Costner's interesting take on the Robin Hood mythology is a song that forever brings a smile to my heart and a shiver to my soul. Why? Because beneath the pop-for-hire lyrics is a song of yearning and commitment and devotion. Sure, it's creepy in that the devotion is sort of obsessive and stalkerish if you listen too carefully. But it touches a cord in me and reminds me of a simpler time in my life when I didn't realize that true love is more than devotion. It's work and compromise and messy. But oh so worth it.

When I long for the simple devotion I listen to this song. Yes, I'm a sap. Sue me.

I give you Every Thing I Do... The Stewie Griffin version.




And as a flash from the past, I give you the original Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves version...

1 comment:

  1. Not a big Stewie fan, but OH HOW I LOVED ROBIN HOOD, PRINCE OF THIEVES!
    Thanks for the reminder. I love that song, and feel privileged to be in a relationship that borders on obsession....but is tested by time and difficulties.
    This song reminds me of a time when this song was our anthem.
    What a nice reminder on a hectic Friday!

    ReplyDelete